08 Februar 2008

Bill Wyman's Rhythm Kings, The Regent Ipswich - 08 Feb 2008

 The Regent Ipswich 
 
Featuring: 
Bill Wyman - bass, vocals
Beverley Skeete - vocals, percussion

Albert Lee - guitar, keyboards, vocals
Terry Taylor - guitar, vocals
Graham Broad - drums, backgr voc
Nick Payn - saxophone, flute, harmonica
Frank Mead - saxophone, harmonica, percussion
Geraint Watkins - keyboards, accordion, vocals


Special guest:
Dennis Locorriere - vocals, harmonica, percussion


My review: Friday 08.02.08
Very tired from all those Berlin events, but I was able to catch my early flight. Sunny weather in the UK and a venue which was easy to find. My seat was front row but unfortunately at the far right side which meant I could hardly see Frank and Nick hidden by huge speakers. Neither could I see Graham Broad. Cameras strictly forbidden, everyone who had a camera in his hands was immediately told off by the very tight security which is simply ridiculous. Even shots by mobiles were not allowed and I could just catch the final line-up.

Brief comments:
Mess around - by Albert, good starter, very fast
Show me - Beverley. I like the horn section in this one.
Unchain my heart - Dennis Locorriere stepped to the front (he asked the audience if he was a surprise to be in the line-up and did a bit of small talk).
Too late - Terry - Do you like Chicago Blues? You bet! Great Little Walter tune. Fantastic harmonica playing.
Green River - basically done by Bill, but this time by everybody else, as Bill's cold wasn't over.
Jump, Jive and Wail - by Albert, always a highlight for me. I just love this Louis Prima tune.
Drown in my own tears - Bev did a heartbreaking version, so excellently that even Bill gave her a nice hand.
Muleskinner - by Albert. Their tribute to the late Lonnie Donegan and a standard in the set. Dennis, Nick, Graham and everybode else did the backing vocals, Frank on harp, super..
Chicken shack - Geraint. I was happy that this song was included again.
Pride & Joy - Dennis did this Randy Newman song. Good voice.
Flatfoot Sam - Bev. Outstanding horns, Nick and Frank !!

Interval, Bill had his fag
2nd set
I'm ready - Fats Domino tune done by Albert
She's looking good - Bev. Somebody shouted "and so do you, Beverley"
All night long - to quote Bill: "Very simple, otherwise I wouldn't do it".
Geraint on accordion, cajun style. A lot of jokes between Bill, Terry and Geraint going on.
Better for me baby - Terry. Great horns.
Harlem shuffle - Bev and Dennis - a crowd pleaser.
Louisiana 1927 - Dennis on vocals, Albert on piano. Cheers from the audience.
I'll be satisfied - Bev
Race with the Devil - Terry, Albert in full flight. One of my all time favourites.
You never can tell - by Bill. Sounds a bit different now, with Dennis on backing vocals, but great. I'd like to get up and dance, but the audience were glued to their seats. A lot of jokes about Chuck Berry between Bill and Terry. Bill told the story about his first Chuck Berry records in the early days and later the encounter with the man himself, which turned out to be a big disappointment.
Johnny B Goode - Geraint on piano, another Chuck Berry song. More jokes and picking on good ole' Chuck ("he needs the money" ... ), Geraint in good mood.
Pouring water on a drowning man - New song, done by Dennis, great lyrics.
That's Rock'n Roll - A song ususally in Hogan's Heroes set list (by the Coasters), surprise that they did it here.
I put a Spell - Beverley's warhorse. Despite of a sore throat, excellently done.
Great response by the audience.



Encore:
Crying in the rain - Albert and Beverley, so very good. Extra cheers for this lovely Everly tune which everybody liked. I hope they will keep it in the setlist.
Tear it up - by Albert in great shape. And that's exactly what they did, toring the house down.
Standing ovations, endless cheers, what a great show that was !!




Dennis wrote in his blog:
"Very appreciative audience in Ipswich. Another show tonight and then a day off tomorrow. I'll still be in a hotel, of course, but it will be nice to relax for a few hours.
P.S. I've been given another song to sing. Actually, it's me and Beverley. Good that they feel they can count on me as these things crop up."



Setlist, Set 2