14 Juli 2008

Bill Wyman's Rhythm Kings, Liverpool Summer Pops, Echo Arena - 14 July 2008


Liverpool Summer Pops - 14 July 2008



Bill Wyman - bass, vocals
Beverley Skeete - vocals, percussion

Albert Lee - guitar, keyboards, vocals
Terry Taylor - guitar, vocals
Graham Broad - drums
Nick Payn - saxophone, flute, harmonica
Frank Mead - saxophone, harmonica, percussion
Geraint Watkins - keyboards, accordion, vocals

Special Guest:

Dennis Locorriere, voc.


Support:
John Martyn Band




http://flic.kr/s/aHsjCM5WAd
Liverpool is a busy city these days, and one of the highlights is the Rhythm Kings' show on 14 July 2008 at the Echo Arena.

My review:
Nothing much to add from my part to the reports below. Why do I always think, awe already over ... but as someone said "time flies when you're having fun!" As Dennis Locorriere quoted THIS IS A KICK ASS BAND! Bill said in the introduction "Let's all have a fun night" and I think, that's what everybody had ! Great view although the stage was high and there was a pit between stage and front row which I usually don't like. Security wasn't too tight though which made some photos possible. The venue itself has an interesting shape. Located at the waterfront, it offers a fantastic view by night !

As to the set list which was slightly different from the other nights, I can't name any favourites as they were all so good, so just a few remarks.

- Too late - well done by Terry, Frank great on harmonica
- Chicken shack - Frank had plenty of space to do his funny movements, but
the duck walk was missing ...
- Race with the devil - Albert played like a devil, one of my all-time favourites
- Johnny B Goode - Geraint in great shape
- I'm ready - Fats Domino song, done by Albert in raving speed
- Honky tonk women - a surprise to everyone (but me as I had heard it the nights before). People jumped to their feet, danced and sang along. Great addition to the set. Everything else has been said in the paper reviews.
- Spell - Bev's moment!
- Crying in the rain - clean & moving version, Bev, Albert, Terry, lovely !
- Tear it up - no one remained sitting, what a treat, Albert at his best.
As to Dennis Locorriere's songs, I preferred his "Pouring water on a drowning man" (great lyrics)
as well as his duet with Bev on "Haarlem Shuffle" which is definitely worth a mention.

No break for the boys, shortly after Liverpool they will be heading down to France for more great shows. I had a long journey home next day, but I wouldn't have missed this show for a million dollars.


  • This is Dennis Locorriere's personal review: "It was very nice to see everyone again. Good people. Different to slot into the picture and then just roll back out of frame. Must be especially strange for the band. Me tonight in Liverpool. Georgie Fame in France in 2 days. Gary Brooker next week, somewhere else on the planet. I remembered just about everything I wanted/ needed to and we did 2 songs I'd never played with them before (did I say cold?) - the opening song, Sweet Soul Music and something by Bill's old group. Now, everyone knows that Bill has nevvvvvvvvvvvvvvver done Stones songs with his bands. But because it was Liverpool - he told the crowd that The Stones were the first London band to play The Cavern Club in the 60s - we were gonna do ("One time only!") Honky Tonk f8cking Women!
    And Bill sang the lead... NEEDLESS TO SAY (but I will anyway), I'm very glad I was in the band for that!

    Home tomorrow and back up to Darwen on Thursday evening for Friday's solo show. Maybe I'll get the call again somewhere down the line, but for now I'm back to being an 'only child'."

  • Bill Wyman And The Rhythm Kings at ECHO Arena, Jul 15 2008
    Review by Samantha Parker, Liverpool Echo  (can be shared)

    HE was once one fifth of one of the most famous bands in the world and last night Bill Wyman (pictured) proved he could still pull a crowd.
    The bassist took a back seat role and let the Rhythm Kings with special guests Albert Lee and Dr Hook frontman Dennis Locorriere raise the roof of the ECHO Arena with a 20-song set.
    He did, however, surprise the audience with a Rolling Stones favourite, Honky Tonk Women, and a Chuck Berry classic, You Never Can Tell. Both songs had members of the audience up on their feet dancing away.
    Stepping up to the mic before singing the Stone’s classic, he said to the crowd: “We (The Rolling Stones) were the first non Merseyside band to play The Cavern.
    “We always got a good reaction out of Liverpool crowds and so, just this once, we’ll do A Stones version – but just this once.” The air in the ECHO Arena was electric despite there being fewer than 3,000 people in the 10,600- seater venue, a true testament to the brilliance on stage.

    The first song of the night, Motown classic, Do You Like Good Music, set the tone for the rest of the evening.

    Soul singer Locorriere wowed the crowd with his sultry tones as well as his erratic dance moves. Louisiana 1927, a reflective song based around floods which echo the disaster in New Orleans, was perfectly pitched and provided the audience with a reprieve from the energetic set.
    Singer Beverley Skeete gave an amazing rendition of Nina Simone’s I Put A Spell On You as the group’s finale, before they came back with a two-song encore. Her voice sends shivers down the spine.
    A duet with Skeete and Albert Lee singing Crying In The Rain, originally sung by the Everly Brothers, was the first encore.
    A beautiful and reflective song which mellowed the crowd in time for the final song, Tear It Up. Everyone was on their feet.

    Bill Wyman And The Rhythm Kings were a class act, they were in tune with one another and bounced off each other. Their enthusiasm was infectious.