We've been knowing this already for quite a while but as it hadn't been
announced officially, there was no way to post it earlier. Here's
Elio's official statement (www.eliopace.com):
Although I'm a bit sad I'm wishing Elio every success and hope to see him touring Germany one day and was flattered that he asked me for assistance on his project "Conquering Germany" (even if I contributed only bits and pieces).
Me, Jilly and lots of other friends will be at 100Club tomorrow at Albert Lee & Hogan's Heroes last gig of this year - which will also be Elio's farewell gig with this brilliant band.
December 11th 2009
"At the beginning of this year and with the release of my debut album coming up, I made a decision to devote all of my professional time to my own music from hereon in. And when I informed Albert Lee in June that the gig at the 100 Club in London, on December 18th would be my last with him and Hogan's Heroes, it was with the very intention that I was going to concentrate on my band, my tours and my music.
But when Sir Terry Wogan specifically asked me if I would like to be his Musical Director and my band be his House Band for his forthcoming new radio show in 2010, there was no way I was going to turn down that sort of incredible, once-in-a-lifetime offer.
And so, this morning Terry announced the news to the nation on 'Wake Up To Wogan'. It is the biggest honour to have been asked and a duty that I can't wait to fulfill.
And yes, December 18th is not only significant because it will be Terry Wogan's last ever breakfast show but also that same evening will be my last gig with the great Albert Lee and his band, Hogan's Heroes."
