29 Juli 2006

Midlands Music Festival, Ballinlough Castle, Athboy County Meath - 28 / 29 July 2006


http://flic.kr/s/aHsjwPYjHP


Midlands Music Festival at Ballinlough Castle, Ireland

CMT said:

For the very first time ever, the international cream of contemporary country music is set to play in Ireland this summer in a brand new two-day festival, which promises to be as legendary as the musicians who are performing.

Topping the bill over the two nights is Kenny Rogers on Friday and Van Morrison on Saturday. Dwight Yoakam, Nanci Griffith, Glen Campbell, Don McLean, Albert Lee & Hogan's Heroes and Emmylou Harris are also some of the many stars who join the stellar lineup of contemporary country stars to the play the first Midlands in Ballinlough Castle, Athboy, County Meath.

The two-day music festival will take place on Friday, July 28 and Saturday, July 29, kicking off in the afternoon and winding down at 11p.m. each day. Spread over one main stage and two smaller indoor tented stages located by the beautiful old castle, the venue will play host to an intimate crowd of 15,000.
________________________

My first visit to Ireland in 2006, unfortunately the weather left to be desired. Nevertheless, a great gig and good times .. and a leisure day in Dublin !

Review:
My first time in Ireland ! Got up early (4.30 am) and off to Dublin with mixed emotions as this was only 1 week after the breakdown I had on the M25.... But here I am - on the road again. The plane couldn't land because of busy air traffic and so I got an extra sightseeing flight over Dublin. I made my way up to County Meath which was approx. 1.30 h driving from Dublin, towards Navan and then through the middle of nowhere, narrow roads and breakneck driving towards Athboy and Ballinlough Castle. Had myself treated with a VIP ticket which meant separate parking in the blue area - close to the main entrance. On my way to pick up my ticket & wristband, it started raining and I almost got soaked. It was already time for Albert & Hogan's Heroes who were on early. I kept the VIP area for later and went straight to the tent where they were going to play. Good gig, very much rock'n roll & country - and the first time without Pete Wingfield. Gavin Povey sat in on keyboards who was very good, he played some funny solo parts which made band and audience laugh, first time I saw Gavin play live (I didn't know then that he would become a member of Hogan's Heroes 4 years later). An outstanding 'Country Boy' version by Albert, and Sue took lots of photos.

The sound was fantastic, the band were brilliant, and everyone had a good time. The setlist was shorter than usual as almost all the slow songs were left out. No 'Wild Child' and no encore - as the time table was tight and Emmylou should be on shortly. I was sure the boys would go to see Emmylou, which they did. Shame that I missed Nanci Griffith gig as she was on another stage at the same time as Hogan's Heroes, not a good timing. Sue took an excellent photo later of both ladies with Albert which is posted somewhere on Hogan's websites.

I went to the VIP area, picked my programme & vouchers, had my meal and some drinks. Thanks to Sandra all was very well organized and I enjoyed being pampered in good company.

Then rushing over to the main stage which was open-air, luckily the rain had stopped. And there she was, the stunning Emmylou Harris. The band called themselves "Emmylou Harris & Friends", one bass player and two girls, percussion and another guitar. Emmy looked great with her silver hair, black skirt, white cowboy boots. She did her beautiful songs in her own incomparable style, very close to the records. She had some nice words about the great Irish hospitality and the lovely festival which took place for the first time, people thanked her with extra applause. Frequent requests for "Boulder to Birmingham", and finally she did it as encore, to put it in Emmylou's own words "not bad for an almost 60 years old...."
After Emmylou's set was over I enjoyed chatting to friendly people, got some advice for sightseeing  and then went to see Jackson Browne with David Lindley. The atmosphere was nice and relaxed, and a lot of alcohol involved...
No longer possible to get to the front row due to the growing crowd. I remember "Running on empty" which was very good, excellent sound all over the place. Kenny Rogers was the last one on the list, I could only stay for 2 of his songs as it was getting late, then made my way back to Dublin to avoid traffic jam.

From: thisisjuanitatoo, originally sent: 31/07/2006
Great report there Gudrun, very interesting, thanks, love from Beryl.

From: Gudrun, sent 31/07/2006
Thanks Beryl, shame I didn't get to see Van the Man, but he was to play on the 2nd day and I couldn't make it again up to County Meath. Weather was getting worse on Saturday, heavy rain & storms and I decided to spend the day in Dublin. Wishing you a great night with Emmylou!

From: thisisjuanitatoo, sent: 01/08/2006
Sorry weather was bad Gudrun, but you had a great time anyway from what you say ... isn't Emmylou amazing? Did you get to talk to Albert or was it one of those gigs where it's difficult to meet up, as festivals often are??? Beryl.

From: Gudrun, sent: 01/08/2006
Beryl, As I had never seen Emmylou live before, I wasn't sure what to expect, but I wasn't disappointed at all, the performance was so close to her recordings.
Nevertheless, you're right, it would have been interesting to see her perform with Mark Knopfler, too, to see the difference. And yes, I had the opportunity to talk to the guys, as you can guess mostly about the breakdown one week earlier. I was asked if I came by car again, but meanwhile I could take the joke. This time everything went smoothly and no desaster on the road.