12 Juli 2006

The Who in der Arena Treptow, Berlin - 12 July 2006

The Who in Berlin - 12 July 2006
Line-up:
Roger Daltrey - Pete Townshend - Pino Palladino (bass) - John "Rabbit" Bundrick (keys) - Simon Townshend (guit) - Zak Starkey (drums), son of Ringo Starr 


Brief Review:
From: Gudrun, originally sent: 13/07/2006 19:36
The Who played in Berlin, Treptow Arena, which is located in the former East, but not too far away and with easy access by public transport. Pete Townsend described the venue as a sh*t hole ( ..." - but we like sh*holes"...). As this summer is a real scorcher over here, people really suffered from the heat as this arena was not a good choice. The beer stalls were of course happy and sold their beverages like hot cakes. Ticket prices were high (I could have booked a flight to UK for the same price) but as I wished to see the legends once in a lifetime, I paid. Support was not worth mentioning, the only thing I remember was that they played loud, sort of heavy metal - not my cup of tea.

Around 10 pm The Who took to the stage, people went crazy and shouted "Who, Who ..." . Gig was really good although I gave up my front row place and moved back. Managed to get me some water which helped a bit. Roger Daltrey said "Hi" and some words in German which were appreciated by the crowd. Pete said that the had played in Berlin for the first time in 1966, and that he was happy to be here again. He promised to come back soon. I don't remember all the songs they played but of course the classics were on "The Kids are Allright", "My Generation" and as encore "Substitute" and "Pinball Wizzard" which everybody knew and enjoyed. The whole gig was less than 2 hours. Apart from my low-key pics I found some newspaper reviews with photos. I was told that The Who played in Bonn the day before in front of a crowd of 6,000, and reviews were brilliant.


From: thisisjuanitatoo originally sent: 13/07/2006
Always great to see a legendary band Gudrun, glad you had a brill time, but sorry about the heat (I know what you mean as it was like that at Hyde Park even 'tho it was mostly outside). Colin thinks The Who are ace, but even 'tho I like their recorded stuff I just can't get away with Mr Townsend, but I do like Roger Daltrey a lot, but like I say they are a legend and well worth seeing. Love from Beryl.