The Tour was called "Bill Wyman's Rhythm Kings and Friends" kicking off on 24th January through March 2008. Dennis Locorriere was a special guest and an interesting addition to the band. Dennis himself published a tour blog on his website, some of his funny notes are added here to lighten up the usual comments. Thanks to Jilly for her Dorking review which could luckily be saved from my former fansite, shame that I was unable to make it to that gig which was the last one of the spring tour.
From: jillydesmo350 Sent: 06/03/2008 01:00
"Last night of the tour, Dorking 5th March - a packed house, and extra rows of seats installed. My seat was in the middle of the front row, normally not a good place for the sound to be right, but there's always the exception - and this was it! ('Well done' to the sound crew!!) No support, just straight into the RKs and everyone with that 'end of tour lets have fun' attitude. They started with 'Mess Around' and the first set went by too quickly. Bev gave a fantastic rendition of another Ray Charles classic 'Drown in my own tears' dedicated to a dear friend of hers who passed away during the tour. Nick and Frank - what can I say? They're just a great double act in themselves, and what a performance on 'You Never Can tell'.
Dennis was an interesting addition to the tour, and added addtional tones to the vocals with his very distinctive voice. Geraint 'told' the story of 'Johnny Be Good' before signing it to a brilliant arrangement - not the usual version (Gudrun, maybe you know what it is?). I can only add a little to Gudrun's reports, it was only apparent that the 'flu was still with some of the band when they spoke - or had hot drinks brought to them on stage. The encore comprised of Terry, Bev and Albert doing 'Crying in the Rain' and then a storming version of 'Tear it Up' with all the band and featuring Albert. Again, standing ovations, and a very happy crowd leaving the theatre.
Photos - I took one or two, but a steward repremanded the guy next but one to me for taking photos (I'd hidden my camera under my coat when I spotted the steward, but the guy was still taking pics when the steward crept along the front!) I also took some at the final curtain call, so I will try and post them here soon. What a fantastic night, and thanks to all!
If I think of anything else, I'll let everyone know. I am so pleased I went along to this gig."
From: Gudrun Sent: 06/03/2008 01:48
Wow Jilly, great report (and quick), thank you so much for posting. Glad you had a great time, with this (according to Dennis L) "kick-ass band".....
As to Johnny B Goode I've been trying to figure out what was different from the original Chuck Berry version, the lyrics were identical, but it didn't have the typical Chuck Berry style ... Geraint definitely seemed to enjoy telling the story and I liked the way he told it ...
From: thisisjuanitatoo (Beryl) Sent: 06/03/2008 02:06
FAB revue Jilly, I almost feel like I was there. Hope Neil Young is just as great and he will be, from Beryl. xxx.
From: jillydesmo350 Sent: 06/03/2008 14:41
Thank you, it was best to write it whilst still fresh in my memory!! Checking out Geraint's website earlier it looks like a version of 'Johnny' is on there, I'll listen to it tonight. Seems he's doing a tour with Andy Fairweather Low ... now to find a gig that's local and on a 'free' date. I'm loooking forward to Mike S this Saturday and Neil next Tuesday, but I doubt whether I'll catch up with Gudrun's schedule! Love from Jilly xxx
From: Gudrun Sent: 06/03/2008 14:51
Oh - you will catch up Jilly, after the next action I decided to slow down a bit (hope I can). Recently I found a flyer with Andy's tour dates but nothing on your doorstep I'm afraid.
Gudrun (sleepy after having taken some cold relief stuff) ...
From: jillydesmo350 Sent: 06/03/2008 19:38
... and how's this for spooky? Just looking at Geraint's website (again !!) and reading about his accordian playing when 'Julie' (by Shakin' Stevens) is played on the radio! No prizes for guessing who played the accordian on that record ....
Love from Jilly xxx.
DL's last entry:
"Time to close the book on this one.
Big thanks to everyone who attended the RK shows. I had a nice time and hope to do more with Bill and the band whenever time and scheduling permits. So, to Nick, Frank, Albert, Graham, Terry, Beverley, Geraint and Bill, as well Tony and the crew, a huge heartfelt 'thank you' for making me feel so welcomed and for allowing me to be myself. Glad it worked out so well for all of us. See you all sometime in the not too distant future. D.L.~"
