03 März 2008

Bill Wyman's Rhythm Kings, The Royal & Derngate Northampton - 03 March 2008

The Royal & Derngate, Northampton, 03 March 2008


Long way down to Northampton, my 2nd visit there and also 2nd time at the Royal and Derngate. Nice surprise, Sue and her friend Laura were there, we met them in the foyer. I learned later that it was Sue's birthday and a very special one so I will never forget the date. The show was audio recorded, which meant we can hope for a live CD in the next future.

Our seats were superb and very close to the stage - the very front row - so close that we could count the frets on Albert's fretboard.  Bev wore a stunning outfit with matching shoes, hope my photo can reflect this. What a performance, humdinger! Enthusiastic audience. Glad to see that most of the band members were feeling much better after the terrible 'flu. I was able to see Graham this time which is not always possible. Great guitar playing by Albert. I loved Bev & Albert doing "Crying in the rain" and I could see from the audience’s reaction that I wasn’t the only one. "Tear it up" was on again, and of course stomping and standing ovations at the end.


Finally we could catch Dennis Locorriere who was picked up by his own tour manager Adrian. He was kind enough to sign our tour programmes, even personalized. Special thanks to the ever friendly Nick for getting us a taxi as our stay was in the middle of nowhere ! Also big thanks to the busy and efficient crew, great job guys.


Featuring:
Bill Wyman - bass, vocals
Beverley Skeete - vocals, percussion
Albert Lee - guitar, keyboards, vocals
Terry Taylor - guitar, vocals
Graham Broad - drums
Nick Payn - saxophone, flute, harmonica
Frank Mead - saxophone, harmonica, percussion
Geraint Watkins - keyboards, vocals


Special guest:
Dennis Locorriere - vocals, harmonica, percussion


DL's blurbs: "Northampton. Everyone was a little nervous about recording so soon after the flu went around the band (hasn't gotten me yet and I'm not sure why), but it seemed to go well. Not sure what's planned for the recordings. 'Live' album I would imagine. I doubt it will contain all the songs in the set. Would have to be a double disc. I'll let you know when I know. Another recording at the next show."